The course aims to enable the student to know and to understand the essential elements of morphological assessment of cattle, the breeding of dairy cattle, the different types of livestock facilities in dairy cows, the composition and quality cow's milk, also in order to develop the student's ability to use the knowledge and understanding gained in identifying the different problems that can occur in a cattle farm of dairy cattle and suggest possible solutions.
The student, at the end of the course, will have to demonstrate knowledge and understanding about:
- The key elements of morphofunctional evaluation of cattle.
- The characteristics of the breeding of dairy cow, of calves and heifers and the different types of housing and milking.
- The physico chemical and technological properties of cow's milk, and the factors influencing its variations.
The student, also, applying the knowledge and understanding acquired, must be able, also working with farmers and other professionals, to
- contribute to the proper management of a dairy cows farm
- Contribute to the prevention of problems that can happen in a dairy cow herd
- Know how to detect and interpret the main parameters of a dairy cow farm.