The course aims at providing the students with a sound language basis and the ability to both read and theory and know how to apply the translation processes into the target language of French and build up an awareness of the language difficulties covered during the course. The student should be able to consolidate language skills and acquire various translation techniques.
During the course students will learn to
- use a dictionary to its full potential (monolingual and bilingual)
- produce grammatical structures in French by comparing the use of the source and target language.
- reflect on semantical and lexical meaning with particular attention being given to “false-friends” and idiomatic expressions.
- reflect on the use of mood and tense in a translation texts.
- recognize and consequently apply the various translation processes studied during the course
and translate a text from Italian into French respecting the linguistic register (formal, standard, spoken, colloquial and slang). Students should also develop good translating skills and in translating techniques