The Viale San Michele complex houses the facilities of the Language Unit.

Plesso di V.le S.Michele

The east wing houses the administrative offices, the photo-reproduction room (ground floor) and the professors' offices (ground and first floor). In the central building, to the south, are located the Web Point, the Tutors' room (ground floor), further professors' offices and two small lecture rooms (E and F on the first floor).

The west wing, the most recent, houses the Multimedia Lab and Library on the ground floor, and the larger classrooms (B, C, D) and another smaller one (A) are located on the first floor.

In the northern part of the complex are the Aula Magna (Miazzi Lecture Hall) and the former custodian's building, now used as teachers' offices and the CoLab hub.

How to get there

The complex in Viale San Michele 9 is about a 30-minute walk from the railway station.

Due to its location near Barriera Repubblica, it is well connected by numerous bus lines.

Where we are

Palazzo delle Carrozze

The Palazzo delle Carrozze was a factory (with an adjoining house) belonging to Mattia Ortalli, built in 1763 and located along the road leading from Porta San Michele to the Stradone. The necessary tasks were carried out by local workers and specially called foreigners; the latter included the master craftsman Charlary (who came from Paris), the wood craftsman Poncet, the saddle-maker Jabalot and the painter Duhallas. To support the factory's activities, a decree was issued in 1764 increasing the amount of duty for the import of 'foreign opera' carriages. After a period of flourishing activity due - as we read in a document of the time - to the 'goodness of the work', the 'extension of work' and the 'breeding of local workers', the factory was transformed into a hospital and military quarters, and finally (in 1790, by then passed to the French government) recovered its former function as a carriage factory and funeral coach depot.

Almost two decades later, the Veterinary School was established there, but only for a very short period. In fact, even though work on adapting the structure began in 1819, it soon became clear that the expenses to be incurred were too great and that the renovation project could not be completed in the four years foreseen. The inadequacy of the facilities, combined with the lack of satisfaction with the education provided, led to a decrease in student attendance and the subsequent failure of the School, which was suppressed by Marie Louise on 5 November 1821.

After a few more decades, in 1861 to be precise, the 'Carriage House' again became a military barracks (of the 'Duchess's Mounted Dragoons') and changed its name to 'Carriage Barracks', then passed to the Royal Italian Army as a garrison and cavalry depot, and finally (from 1937 to 1968) to the Royal Carabinieri, becoming the 'Main Carriage Station'. Used for a few years (1969-73) by the Xaverian Missionaries as a camp for the 'Mani Tese' association, it was then abandoned.

On 23 July 1980 the State Property Office granted it in perpetual use to the University of Parma. The Institutes of Germanic Languages and Literature and of Romance Languages and Literature of the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy were transferred there, from which the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature was merged in 2000, which, in turn, in July 2012 merged into the Language Area of the new Department of Antiquistics, Languages, Education, Philosophy - A.L.E.F., which ceased in December 2016. Since 2017, it has been home to the Language Unit, which is part of the new Department of Humanities, Social Sciences and Cultural Enterprises.