The course aims to enable the student to know and to understand the essential elements of morphological evaluation of farm animals, the methods of breeding of beef cattle, swine, equine sheep, goats, rabbit and poultry, the different types of structures of rearing pigs, the carcass characteristics and meat quality in the different categories, the composition and quality of sheep, goat and buffalo milk, the main criteria of animal welfare, physioclimatology, farm hygiene.
This is also with the aim to develop the student's ability to use the knowledge and understanding gained in identifying the different problems that can occur in different types of livestock farms.
The student, at the end of the course, will have to demonstrate knowledge and understanding about:
- The key elements of morpho-functional evaluation of animals in livestock production.
- The characteristics of beef cattle breeding and the different types of housing.
- The characteristics of pig breeding and the different types of structures.
- The characteristics of sheep and goats rearing.
- The characteristics of buffaloes breeding.
- The chemical-physical and technological properties of sheep, goat and buffalo milk.
- The characteristics of rabbit and poultry breeding.
- The characteristics of equine breeding.
- The characteristics of carcass and meat quality in the different categories.
- The key elements of animal welfare, the main legislation for cattle and swine welfare and relationships with breeding structures.
- Basic knowledge of hygiene livestock, the main modalities of cleaning, disinfecting and disinfestation and the main elements of livestock biosafety.
- The main concepts of physioclimatology, climate and microclimate, methods of measurement of climatic parameters, definition and calculation of THI.
The student, also, applying the knowledge and understanding acquired, must be able, also working with farmers and other professionals, to
- contribute to the proper management of a livestock farm
- Contribute to the prevention of problems that can meet a livestock farm
- Know how to detect and interpret the main parameters of a livestock farm