The Pharmacy Internship
The curricular internship of professional practice, provided for under EEC Directive 85/432 for the purposes of the Community validity of the qualification, must be carried out full-time over a period of 18 months for a total duration of at least six months (30 ECTS credits equal to 900 hours) and is indispensable for the purposes of qualifying to practise as a pharmacist.
The internship is intended to integrate university training with professional and current experience in Pharmacy and consists of the student's participation, under the supervision of a Pharmacist (Professional Tutor) and the University Tutor, in the activities of the host facility, i.e. community or hospital pharmacy.
As a rule, the internship is carried out at a community pharmacy. If the internship is carried out in full at the same pharmacy, the student must submit a single application for activation and the approval of the competent order may be requested at the end of the entire period.
However, the internship period can also be divided into 2 parts, each of 3 continuous months (450 hours) to be carried out at the same community pharmacy, or at two different community pharmacies, or at a community pharmacy and an affiliated hospital pharmacy.
If the internship is divided into two parts:
- If the host Pharmacy is the same where the student spent the first period, and the professional tutor is unchanged, it will not be necessary to request activation again as long as the two periods take place within 18 months overall.
- If the host Pharmacy is the same where the student spent the first period, but the professional tutor has changed or it is not possible to complete the internship within 18 months, the student will have to re-submit the activation application for the second period.
- If the student decides to carry out the internship in two periods each in two different pharmacies, it is necessary to repeat the activation process for each of the two periods.
The final approval of the internship of the competent Order must be requested:
- at the end of the entire internship cycle if this was carried out within 18 months at a single pharmacy and under the supervision of the same professional tutor
- at the end of each of the two internship periods in all other cases
Internship in foreign structures
Part of the internship (no more than three months) can be carried out at foreign facilities within the framework of Erasmus+ exchange programmes or other international agreements. For the organization and management of internships abroad, please refer to the Department's International Student Mobility Committee.