Provide the student with knowledge on the chemical structure and properties of the molecules characterizing meat and dairy products.
Illustrate the chemical composition of meat and dairy products and the main chemical reactions that occur following the technological processing and conservation treatments.
Provide the student with the knowledge on the main methods of analysis to guarantee the quality, typicality and authenticity of the products.
Provide information on innovation and sustainability in the animal products sector.
1. Knowledge and understanding: Knowledge of the molecular composition of meat and dairy products and understanding of the interaction between the components. Acquisition of the notions relating to chemical transformation reactions (desired and not) of food components.
2. Applying knowledge and understanding: Ability to recognize the possible modification of a product or a specific nutrient according to the process undergone. Ability to apply general knowledge to specific cases of meat or milk products.
3. Communication skills: Ability to expose the results of studies even to a non-expert public. Knowing how to present the problems relating to the molecular composition of meat and dairy products to an inexperienced public
4. Making judgments: Ability to evaluate the quality, authenticity and sustainability of a product or a transformation process on the basis of its molecular composition.
5. Learning skills: Ability to synthesize and link the different topics covered and the basic and related disciplines. Ability to update with the consultation of the scientific publications of the sector.