The course aims to enable the student to know and understand the essential elements of the reproduction of livestock, to transmit knowledge of the reproductive management of the cow, mare, sow, and the ways in which takes place on the farm. The course wants to bring the student to the acquisition of the technique of artificial insemination in farm animals and the ability to make a macroscopic and microscopic semen in different livestock species. The student must be able to assist a veterinarian with independent judgment and will be able to assist a veterinarian in carrying out and implementing good diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive practices. In addition, students should be able to manage the breeding in domestic animals, starting from the good knowledge of the principles of reproductive management, the main reproductive pathologies to interact with the figure of the Veterinarian with autonomy of judgment.
At the end of the teaching activity the student must demonstrate to be able:
- to define the concepts of management of reproduction knowing the basics of this herd aspect, performing artificial insemination techniques and how to assist labor and the neonatal assistance in farm animals;
- to discuss and organize the management of the herd, the stable and the swine farrowing room;
- to be able to evaluate and criticize the consequences of reproductive diseases in a herd;
- to demonstrate to have legislative knowledge regarding reproduction and animal semen material.
- to evaluate the appropriate biosecurity and medical measure, and prophylaxis to be carried out in the delivery rooms, calves boxes an foal (the nursery).
- to know how to collect data needed to evaluate reproduction management applied to intensive breeding;
- to express themselves clearly and with appropriate terms during a description of concepts relating to the reproduction of animals of interest livestock.
- to identify the veterinary context of a discussion and get involved by the figures discussed to make a contribution to the discussion itself.
- the student will be able to manage the business issues related to the breeding of domestic animals of zootechnical interest;
- to approach the animals to artificial inseminated them