The course aims to illustrate the structural characteristics of a financial system, supplying the conceptual framework in order to understand the role of financial institutions in the economic system. At the end of the course the students will acquire:
1) the knowledge necessary to understand the features and the development of the financial system in general, the aims and scope of financial supervision, the role and the economics of financial intermediaries, the characteristics of financial needs and of financial instruments;
2) the ability to apply knowledge in order to evaluate financial instruments used for investments, financial needs, payments and risk management;
3) the ability to judge the suitability of a financial system to the real problems of the economic system, even in the social and ethical point of view, and to choose the right instruments to satisfy financial needs;
4) the ability to use a fair technical language;
5) learning skills through problem solving method.