The course aims to guide the student to learn the principles of management of populations with limited diffusion, indicating also the role in the economy of the territories.
There are not limitations, however, useful concepts are provided during the course "General Animal Husbandry, Breeding, Biodiversity" (1st year, 2nd semester)
Course unit content
The course is not mandatory and is of new institution. It is aimed at students who wish to study issues relating to the management of animal populations with limited diffusion, of special interest, in recent years, due to a growing sensitivity towards sustainable production, biodiversity and typical productions. The course aims to address issues of management from a scientific point of view, using first a theoretical approach to the problem and then informatic tools that can operate on real databases.
1. Brief references to concepts of quantitative genetics (selection, genetic progress, impact of selection on genetic variability, generation interval, inbreeding and crossing).
2. Meaning of "Biodiversity" in domestic animal populations. Local production of typical brands, stud books, genealogical registers and regulations governing animal reproduction in Italy.
3. Breeds with limited diffusion in bovine, sheep, goats, swine and equine in Italy.
4. The levels of risk of extinction based on the number of breeders in the domestic animal populations.
5. Size of populations and inbreeding.
6. Genetic drift.
7. The effective number of a population.
8. Genetic management of small populations and conservation strategies (maximizing the ratio Ne / N; minimization of the relationship between breeders; minimization relationship at coupling; modification of the interval of generation, selection).
9. Examples of management of animal populations with limited diffusion.
10. Use of software for the management of animal populations with limited diffusion.
Pagnacco G. (2004) Genetica animale applicata, Casa editrice Ambrosiana, MI
Bordonaro, S. (2011) Le filiere zootecniche e la valorizzazione delle risorse genetiche zootecniche. In http://www.anisn.it/workgroup/Progetto%20Biodiversita/materiali%20didattici%20secondo%20ciclo_2011/CATANIA_21MARZO2011/Filiere%20zootecniche/Lait.pdf.
Lectures and PC sessions for the use of specific programs.
Assessment methods and criteria
At the end of the course it will be evaluated the suitability through a simulation on a database, for which the arrangements for safeguarding in relation to specific characteristics of the same will be discussed .
The teaching will be partly provided by a professor of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Zagreb, speaking Italian, which has deepened in his research the issues of protection of limited sized breeds.