Aim of the course is to provide the fundamentals for the design of structures. An overall overview of the design strategies for structural and non-structural components and their interaction will be provided.
In order to develop a proper skill concerning structural fundamentals, by the end of the course the student should be able:
- to know the fundamentals concerning structural materials mechanical behaviour, actions on structures and environment influences, conceptual design and dimensioning criteria for buildings (knowledge and understanding skill);
- to conceive architectural projects based on realistic structural configurations according to the chosen material; to detect structural elements and to perform a proper dimensioning (applying knowledge and understanding);
- to govern the procedure adopted in current design practice. A constant link between the theoretical fundamentals and the practical applications will be perceived during the course. This constant link will serve to guide the student to realise architectonic designs based on the background knowledge of material behaviour, conceptual design and dimensioning criteria (Making judgements);
- to show enhanced communication skill thanks to the confidence gained through a constant connection between theoretical knowledge and applications to a real case study. Public speaking capabilities will be checked during the course to improve the use of the technical terminology currently used in the design practice (Communication skills);
- to govern the fundamental steps of the design of structure. The reviews of the assigned project, realised by students during lessons, will provide the measure to quantify and to check the ability of student learning (Learning skills)