Overall listening comprehension
• Understand speech and presentations of moderate length and follow lines of argument provided the topic is reasonably familiar.
• Understand the important points of a short news and current affairs features with standard British or American pronunciation.
• Develop strategies for difficult communication situations—phone conversations, strong accents, unfamiliar topics, etc.
Overall reading comprehension
• Read short to medium-length articles and reports on international relations and legal proceedings in which the writers adopt particular attitudes or viewpoints.
• Understand the overall meaning of more complicated texts—particularly articles regarding international law and politics.
Overall spoken interaction
• Interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes interaction with speakers at a similar or higher level possible.
• Take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining personal views and opinions.
• Present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to international law, politics, and other topics.
• Explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Overall written interaction
• Write clear texts on subjects related to the student's interests and communication needs.
• Write a short report or analysis, passing on information or giving reasons in support of or against a particular point of view.
• Write emails to make arrangements or to provide updates or information on a topic.