Knowledge and understanding:
The main goal of this course is to provide the students with A refresher (with a reinforcement tailored towards the upcoming courses) of the key concepts in linear algebra, probability theory and system analysis they should have encountered in their Bachelor studies.
The refreshed mathematical tools will allow them to manage both deterministic and stochastic signals both in continuous- and discrete-time, as well as their linear transformations.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
The abilities to apply the acquired knowledge and understanding are:
- to understand and apply the basic concepts of linear vector spaces and their basic operations.
- to manipulate Hermitian, unitary, and projection matrices. To perform a spectral or singular value matrix decomposition
- to apply basic probabilty theory to solve practical problems
- to apply Fourier and Z transform techniques to solve linear filtering problems
- to calculate the spectral properties of filtered stochastic processes
- to use the complex equivalent lowpass representation of real bandpass stochastic processes
- to provide students with the tools do describe and solve communications and signal processing problems in the MATLAB environment.