The student will acquire the knowledge of the specific functions of the Public Hygiene Services, as an organizational area of the National Health System, in relation to the areas of environmental competence.
- - -
Course unit content
Principles of Management of Environmental Services. In particular, the course presents the organization of services for the environment starting from a historical perspective, from the texts on health laws to arrive at the law establishing the National Health Service (Law n. 833/1978 and subsequent amendments).
Furthermore it provides notions on the organization of the structures of the National Health Service competent in environmental matters after the referendum of 1993, with particular attention to the built environment and the planning and urbanization of the territory.
The theme of Human Health from a “One Health” approach declined in the reality of Italian Institutions.
Health and Environment in Italian legislation: from the Italian health laws of the first half of 1900s to the law n. 833 of 1978 which established the National Health System; from the Provincial Hygiene and Prophylaxis Laboratories to the Referendum of 1993 and subsequent establishment of the National Environmental Protection Agency.
The National Prevention Plan and the LEA "Collective Prevention and Public Health":activities and services aimed at protecting the health and safety of the community from infectious and environmental risks, linked to working conditions, related to lifestyles, with particular reference at the intervention level: Protection of the health and safety of open and confined environments.
- Health protection in the use of public swimming pools or for public use;
- Health protection in the use of bathing water;
- Hygienic-sanitary evaluation of the urban planning and regulation tools;
- Protection of health from risk factors present in the living environment, not confined;
- Protection of health and safety of civilian homes;
- Promotion of road safety;
- Protection of the hygienic and safety conditions of buildings for school and recreational use;
- Protection of the hygienic and safety conditions of the structures intended for health and social-health activities;
- Health and hygiene protection of Spas;
- Protection of the population and workers from the "asbestos" risk;
- Prevention and safety in the use of toxic gases;
- Prevention and safety in the use of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation;
- Health protection from risks for the population deriving from the use of chemicals, preparations and articles (REACH);
- Preparation of emergency response systems from natural or provoked phenomena (climatic and nuclear, biological, chemical, radiological);
- Protection of the community from radon risk.
Examples of local agreements between the Regional Agency for Environmental Protection (ARPA) and the Local Health Unit (AUSL).
Igiene e Sanità Pubblica. Secrets, domande e risposte 2021. Editor Carlo Signorelli, III edizione, Società editrice Universo.
Learning material used during lessons provided by the teacher.
Lectures will be held on-site in compliance with safety standards, provided that further instructions on the ongoing health emergency are not implemented. Supporting material will be available on the specific, student-reserved platform (Elly) and will include slide presentations, audio-video aids or video-recording of the lectures.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written exam will assess student's learning and understanding during the course.
Written examination, multiple choice test.
In case of the persistence of the health emergency, the exams will be conducted remotely, as follows:
structured written test conducted remotely (by Teams and Elly). The test consists of 30 multiple choice questions on the integrated course contents (reference texts + documents uploaded to Elly during the course). There is no penalty for incorrect answers
Students with SLD/BSE must first contact Le Eli-che: support for students with disabilities, D.S.A., B.E.S. (https://sea.unipr.it/it/servizi/le-eli-che-supporto-studenti-con-disabilita-dsa-bes