1) Knowledge and understanding
Attending classes and through individual study, students are to acquire:
• Know how to use renewables to produce electrical energy;
• Knowledge of circuits topologies and understanding of the working principle of: (i) basic circuits of the most relevant of static power converters conversion, (ii) protection circuits (snubbers), (iii) drivers for controlled switches;
• Knowledge of the devices sizing of basic converters;
• Knowledge of the working principle, construction and types of transformers;
• Knowledge of the working principle, construction and types of electric rotating machines;
• Knowledge of technologies, technics and circuits of photovoltaic and wind systems;
• Knowledge and basic skills in MATLAB-Simulink to simulate power converters and power plants by renewables, using mathematical and/or functional models.
2) Applying knowledge and understanding
A goal of this course is providing students with the ability of applying their knowledge of electrical engineering, electronics, power electronics, and power systems for electrical production from renewable sources.
Importance is also given to the ability of solving problems and exercises to size active and passive devices and to evaluate the main figures of merit of power converters, analyzing their working principle.