The students will acquire the basic concepts of classical mechanics and will be able to solve problems (also complex problems)regarding statics, kinematics and dynamics.
Algebraic and analytical mathematics. Operations with scalars and vectors.
Course unit content
Fundamentals of classical mechanics, statics, kinematics and dynamics.
- Physical entities, units and reference systems
- Vectors and operations with vectors
- Definition of force and Newton's laws
- Statics, forces and equilibrium
- Kinematics and motion of point particles in 1, 2 e 3 dimensions
- Dinamics of point particles and rotational motion
- Kinematics and dynamics of many-particle objects
- Momentum, elastic and inelastic collisions
- Energy and work, different forms of energy
- Energy and momentum conservation
- Gravitation law
- Oscillatory motions and harmonic oscillator
- Waves, stationary waves, wave interference
- Notions of statics and dynamics in fluids
- Resnick, Halliday, Krane: Fisica 1, Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Milano
- Mazzoldi, Nigro, Voci: Elementi di Fisica, EdiSES Napoli
Lectures. Exercises with the help of an assistant.
Assessment methods and criteria
Three tests will be carried during the semester. The exercises to be solved are based on the theory developed till that point of the course. Students who passed all written tests have two options: accept the average note of the tests or try to improve this note by oral exam.
Those who will skip one or more written test(s) or will not get a sufficient average note have to pass the oral exam.
Those who overcame with good notes the three tests but wish the "lode" (honor) have to face an oral examitation.