The course aims to provide the main tools to analyze and design modern fiber optic communication systems. In particular, the course would like to give knowledge and understanding about:
- linear effects in an optical fiber.
- nonlinear effects in an optical fiber.
- investigation of the transmission/amplification/detection of an optical signal.
- design of a fiber-optic communication system.
- the basic principles of a numerical simulation of an optical link.
With such a knowledge the student should be able to:
- analyze the main distortions of an optical link.
- understand and analyze the main sources of noise that impact the bit error rate of a digital transmission by means of fiber optics.
- find strategies to cope with the above problems
- design a fiber optic link.
- implement numerical algorithms for the analysis of nonlinear systems.
- write a scientific report