The course aims to provide the student with the knowledge of the main mechanisms used for securing networked systems and for protecting computer networks; in particular the knowledge and understanding of:
- applied cryptography;
- main algorithms and protocols for authentication and for securing data exchanges;
- main communication security protocols;
- possible network vulnerabilities and main network protection mechanisms.
Applying knowledge and understanding are:
- analysis of authentication and data protection schemes based on symmetric and/or asymmetric cryptography;
- design of mechanisms for authentication and secure data exchange;
- configuration and use of standard security protocols and algorithms (e.g. IPSec and TLS protocols; AES, RSA cryptography algorithms; digital signature and certificates X.509 and PGP; etc.)
- use of tools for network monitoring and vulnerabilities scanning;
- configuration of systems (e.g. firewalls) for network protection.