knowledge about the comprehensive management of patients suffering from internal diseases.
- - -
Course unit content
The classes will help to get knowledge of epidemiological, physiopathological, clinical and therapeutical aspects of internal medicine diseases such as primary and secondary osteoporosis, hypovitaminosis D and osteomalacia, Paget diseases of bone, primary hyperparathyroidism, and thrombo-embolic diseases.
1) Heart failure and arrythmia particularly in the elderly.
2) Patient with thoracic pain, differential diagnosis and clinical approach, evaluation of the main instrumental and biochemical investigations.
3) Hypertension: diagnostic evaluations and therapy also in the elderly.
4) Dysphagia, malnutrition and cachexia in the elderly, anorexia and obesity.
5) COPD,asthma and chronic respiratory failure.
6) Infectious diseases (Pneumonia, Infezioni delle vie UTI , Sepsis): diagnosis and therapy.
7) Fever: physiopathology, causes and clinical approach.
8) Osteoporosis, PagetDisease, Hypercalcemia and hypocalcemia.
9) Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. 10) Clinical approach to the patient with lynfoadenomegaly and splenomegaly. 11) Clinical evaluation of patients with platelet disease (low platelet count).
12)Anemia: causes, diagnosis and therapy.
13) Liver diseases,jaundice.
14) Diabetes Mellito: diagnosi, terapia farmacologica (insulinica e con ipoglicemizzanti orali), prevenzione e trattamento delle complicanze micro e macrovascolari.
15) Dislipidemia and atherosclerosis .
16) prevention of CV risk.
17) Metabolic syndrome .
18) Cerebrovascular disease : prevention and therapy.
19) Endocrine diseases in aging.
20) Dementia: Differential diagnosis and therapy
1) Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, XVIII° ed. Mc Grow Hill ed.
2) Rugarli, Medicina Interna sistematica VI° ed, elsevier ed.
3) Geriatric Manual 2019. Edra Editor. Cured by Antonelli Incalzi R, Cesari M, Ungar A, Pedone C, Volpato S, Leosco D.
The course will be held through lectures to Students either in the classroom (“in presenza”) or in synchronous-streaming (“in telepresenza”) on the Teams platform. Therefore, the opportunity of Student/Teacher interaction will be preserved both face to face and remotely, by the simultaneous use of the Teams platform.
Lectures will be supported by slide presentations, which will be available to students on the Elly platform (https://elly2020.medicina.unipr.it/).
All classes will start from the description of a real patient, and then during the description of the different aspect of the disease the real clinical aspect of single patients wil be taken into consideration. Therapeutical aspect will be considered in practical fashion.
Assessment methods and criteria
In case of the persistence of the health emergency, the exams will be conducted remotely, as follows:
remote oral questions, through the Teams platform (guide http://selma.unipr.it/).
Students with SLD / BSE must first contact Le Eli-che: support for students with disabilities, D.S.A., B.E.S. (https://sea.unipr.it/it/servizi/le-eli-che-supporto-studenti-con-disabilita-dsa-bes)
An oral test will start from the description of a specific patient, and the student will discuss in a critical fashion the different diagnostic options in order to reach a specific diagnosis, that will be followed by the definition of a therapeutical approach. This test will allow to evaluate the knowledge as well as the clinical skill of the student