At the end of the course the student should:
- know the IUPAC nomenclature of aromatic heterocyclic compounds and to apply the IUPAC rules;
- know the structural formula of the main aromatic heterocycles;
- know the synthesis of the aromatic heterocycles explained in the course;
- know the reactivity of the heterocycles tackled during the course and, for every class of compounds, have understood the regioselectivity of the different reactions;
- be able to analyze the chemical behavior of the heterocycles in the presence of given reactants;
- know the acid-base behavior and the tautomeric equilibria (when present) of the heterocycles tackled during the course, and be able to order different heterocycles in reactivity and basicity scales;
- be able to apply the knowledges in analysis and solving simple synthesis and retrosynthesis exercises.