The course is aimed at:
- provide in-depth knowledge on the most important chemical processes
- provide basic knowledge on chemical process plants: design, management, safety
- provide adequate knowledge on the economic evaluation of a chemical process
- provide comparative and critical evaluations on the environmental sustainability of the process
- provide in-depth knowledge on the main classes of chemical formulas
- provide in-depth knowledge on the ingredients of chemical formulations (synthesis and chemical-physical properties)
- provide a comparative and critical evaluation of the most known formulations on the market
The conceptual tools are provided for a critical understanding of industrial production processes with regard to:
- choice of the process, the plant and the technology to be applied to obtain a chemical intermediate
- choice of the process and the ingredients to be applied to obtain a chemical formulation
- evaluation of total costs
- environmental and safety issues
-problematic related to the packaging materials of intermediates and formulated
The links between the different parts of the course and with courses already followed by the students in previous years and in the current year are highlighted, with particular reference to the contents of physical, organic and industrial chemistry.
The student must be able to evaluate the choice of the process, of the industrial feedstock, of the catalysts, of the technology, of the operating conditions; to understand issues related to production, environmental and safety costs.
During the course, the autonomous judgment and the discussion on the issues are stimulated, with the use of online bibliographic research from accredited sources of primary literature.
The student have to develop autonomous skills that allow him to evaluate, compare, criticize and weigh negative and positive aspects of the industrial chemical processes analyzed, and to think about possible pilot-scale innovations on the market.
The acquisition of a formally correct language is required, the ability to express content in a clear and linear way is encouraged.