At the end of the course the student is able:
- to know the IUPAC nomenclature of aromatic heterocyclic compounds and to apply the IUPAC rules to unknown compounds;
- to know the structural features of the main aromatic heterocycles;
- to know the synthesis of the aromatic heterocycles explained in the course;
- to know the reactivity of the heterocycles tackled during the course and, for every class of compounds, to understand the regioselectivity issue of the different reactions;
- to be able to analyze the chemical behavior of the heterocycles in the presence of given reactants;
- to know the acid-base behavior and the tautomeric equilibria (when present) of the heterocycles tackled during the course, and to be able to order different heterocycles based on scales of reactivity and basicity;
- to be able to apply the acquired knowledge in analysis and solution of simple exercizes of synthesis and retrosynthesis.