By the end of the course students will have learned theoretical notions about language education and developed key-competences in the planning of language learning units that are consistent with the most recent developments of Educational Linguistics.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Knowing the interdiciplinary nature of Educational Linguistics and its development in Italy.
- Knowing the nativist, cognitive-functional and environmentalist theories of L1 and L2 learning.
- Knowing the main approaches and methods for language learning.
- Understanding the relations between a teaching approach and the learning theories it draws inspirations from.
APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Applying the key notions of Educational Linguistics for analyzing and self-assessing one's personal experience as an L1 and L2 learner.
- Designing language learning activities based on the notions learned during the course.
- Identifying the differences, as well as the pros and cons of the various language teaching approaches.
- Critically analyzing language teaching materials.
- Being aware of the processes underlying the various components of the communicative competence.
- Presenting a topic in an accessible way using the technical vocabulary of Educational Linguistics.
- Developing reflection skills, assessment and self-assessment skills.