At the end of the course the student will be familiar with basic notions on the production of biotech proteins and on their therapeutic and diagnostic application. Examples of biotech drugs will provide not only specific information on these drugs, but also an overview on the variety of products, production, purification and characterization techniques and application of biotech products currently available. In particular, at the end of the course, the student is expected to:
1. Know and understand the processes, techniques and specific issues related to the production, characterization and use of biotech drugs. Know in detail the structure, properties, functions, production techniques and application of biotech drugs treated during the course. Know the meaning and examples of biosimilar and biobetter drugs and understand the rationale for pegylation and hyper-glycosylation of drugs, production of fusion proteins and conjugation of small molecules with macromolecules (Knowledge and understanding).
2. Interpret and critically comment information on biotech drugs, also in the context of production and use of biotech pharmaceuticals. Apply acquired notions to the understanding of strategies of protein modification aimed at improving product properties (Applying knowledge and understanding).
3. Identify relevant properties of specific biotech drugs and draw conclusions on their production, potential for structural modification and application. Analyze pros and cons of techniques for the production of biotech drugs. Properly answer to questions, suggestions and criticisms, and formulate opinions on the topics treated in the course (Making judgements).
4. Report with proper language, to specialists and non-specialists, knowledge and concepts related to biopharmaceuticals, concerning both general aspects on the production of biotech drugs and detailed information on the properties of drugs treated during the course (Communication skills).
5. Autonomously deepen his/her knowledge and expertise in the development and therapeutic application of biotech drugs, using bibliographic resources, integrating information from other disciplines (Learning skills).