The course aims to develop oral and written communicative skills as well as translation strategies and metalinguistic skills about the main features of specialized discourse, which enable students to understand and translate various types of scientific texts.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Appreciate the features of specialized discourse in English.
- Be aware of the various degrees of text specialization in the continuum from popular-scientific to highly specializd texts.
APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Recognize and appreciate the features of specialised discourse in specific text samples.
- Understand, analyse and discuss the contents and the formal features of specific text samples.
- Make informed and motivated judgements about complex phenomena, based on a careful reading of the text.
- Develop oral and written communicative skills at the C1 level of the European Framework for Languages.
- Develop an adequate level of metalinguistic and translation skills, which will enable students to use the contents of this course to analyse and translate specialized texts autonomously.