Provide the theoretical and clinical skills for the medical, surgical and dental management of the patient with sitemic disorders
Knowledge of biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, general pathology, histo-pathology, internal medicine, oral medicine
Course unit content
Physopathological aspects of pregnancy, diabetes, liver disease, heart disease, immunodeficiency
Pathophysiological Aspects of Pregnancy
- Changes in saliva and oral cavity during pregnancy
- Oral and dental pathologies in pregnancy
- Pharmacological and odontostomatological management of the patient during pregnancy
- The pathologies of the oral cavity to iauto immune diseases: diagnosis and therapy.
- Diabetes and its complications
- Oral and dental pathologies in the diabetic patient
- Pharmacological and odontostomatological management of the diabetic patient
- Odontostomatological implications of hemostasis disorders
- Surgical and odontostomatological management of the patient in oral anticoagulant treatment
- Dental and oral changes in kidney diseases and kidney transplantation
- Hypertrophic-hyperplastic gengivitis
- Pharmacological and odontostomatological management of the nephropathic patient
- Dental and oral changes in liver disease
- Oral lichen planus, oral cancer and HCV infection
- Pharmacological and surgical management of the patient affected by liver diseases
- Odontostomatological implications of HIV infection
- Dental management of the immunocompromised patient
- Clinical and epidemiological aspect of COVID-19 pandemic
- Dentistry activity in period of COVID 19 pandemic.
- Scully C: Medical Problems in Dentistry – seventh Ed. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier
- Ficarra G: Manuale di Patologia e Medicina Orale. Mc Graw-Hill
- Ibsen OAC, Phelan JA: Patologia Orale. CIC Edizioni Internazionali
Class lessons: the program themes will be discussed with the aid of slides. The proposed topics will be the subject of collective discussion and study on the basis of ideas and any questions raised during the lessons themselves.
Due to the emergency situation, lessons may also be delivered remotely (either in synchronous or asynchronous mode) via Microsoft Teams.
Assessment methods and criteria
The achievement of the goals of the course is verified by an oral exam.
Answering questions about the contents of the course, the student will demonstrate whether he/she has achieved the goals of knowledge and understanding of the contents
The course will be held through lectures to Students either in the classroom (“in presenza”) or in synchronous-streaming (“in telepresenza”) on the Teams platform. Therefore, the opportunity of Student/Teacher interaction will be preserved both face to face and remotely, by the simultaneous use of the Teams platform.
Lectures will be supported by slide presentations, which will be available to students on the Elly platform (https://elly2020.medicina.unipr.it/).