- Understanding how chronic pain develops.
- Examination of patients with chronic pain.
- Knowledge of common painful conditions
- Initial treatment and knowledge of referral possibilities.
- - -
Course unit content
Pathophysiology of acute and chronic pain. Diagnosis and specialist treatment of common painful conditions.
Drugs used to treat acute and chronic pain.
- Transduction and conduction of pain stimuli in the nervous system
- Pathophysiology of neuropathic pain
- Common painful states: low back pain, radiculopathy, arthritis
- Clinical pharmacology of analgesics and adjuvants: antiinflammatory drugs, opioids, antidepressants, anticonvulsants etc.
Study material will be delivered during classes.
Assessment methods and criteria
Oral exam (1 question during the integrated course exam)